Iran: the aspirations of youth for freedom
Views and debate
Place du 20-Août 7
4000 Liège See the map
Following the death of the Iranian Mahsa Amini, 22 years old, who died in detention after being arrested for not respecting the dress code imposed on women, the six universities of the Walloon-Brussels Federation showed their strong support to the Iranian citizens who peacefully defend their rights.
In the wake of this position, the University of Liege brings together several Iranian intellectuals to raise awareness and provide a space for dialogue on the dramatic situation in Iran.
A conference open to all:
Iran: the aspirations of youth for freedom. Views and debate
Saturday 26th November 2022 at 5:00pm
at the Academic Hall of the University of Liege
(place du 20-Août 7, 4000 Liège)
Free admission | Conference in French
- Welcome by Mrs Anne-Sophie Nyssen, Rector of the University of Liège
- Round-table discussion with Mr. Hamid Babaei and a panel of Iranian intellectuals, moderated by Luc Pire (Amnesty International):
- Ms. Fahimeh Ilghami, member of the central committee of the constitutional monarchy party
- Mrs. Firouzeh Nahavandi, professor at ULB and member of the Royal Academy of Overseas Sciences
- Ms. Mahtab Ghorbani, human rights activist, writer and poet living in Paris
- Ms. Yalda Parsajoo, researcher at ULB
- Mr. Massoud Salari, writer living in Paris
- Mr. Jonathan Piron, consultant at Etopia and teacher at Helmo
- Mr. Emile Franck, coordinator for the Persian Gulf countries at Amnesty International French-speaking Belgium
- Interludes of traditional Iranian music and presentation of the drawings of Mr. Behnam Mohammadi, cartoonist critical of the Iranian regime, living in Belgium
Hamid Babaei, an Iranian doctoral student at HEC Liège, had been unjustly imprisoned in his country following his refusal to spy on Iranian students living in Belgium. He was released 6 years later, in August 2019.
Between 2014 and 2019, many initiatives had been taken by the group Liege Amnesty International and French-speaking universities to oppose the imprisonment of Hamid Babaei. Today, it wishes to carry out actions to raise awareness in favor of the defense of human rights in Iran.
Photo : © Behnam